Monday 28 October 2013

Style influences

For this animation I imagined the style to be fairly simple but really emphasise on the textures of the character and backgrounds. I want to experiment with different colour palettes, some which stay realistic to the environment and others which are very stylised to set different moods and change the atmosphere.

The triplets of Belleville film style:






When first seeing images from this film I found the style very unique and interesting. The use of a subtle paper texturing stood out to me as it gives the animation a traditional art feel. The colour palette intrigued me the most as it seemed that a lot of the colours had this overlaying sepia style effect, which I could imagine my environments having the same effect. Additionally, the warm colours in these images are similar to what colours are seen within the Savanna grasslands.


Black Water gospel style:


I found the style of this short animation film very inspiring. Although it is a 3D animation, the textures applied make it look and feel like a 2D animated film. Again, I was very drawn to the paper style textures and traditional art style mediums. I would like to apply this to my animation, as I plan to use a 3D model for my rhino character. Also I like the way the camera has a constant texture of dirt, which emphasises a sense of realism within the environment. Similarly the colours used in the first half of the animation are again in this sepia style tone, as the environment is based in a dessert like land. The lighting portrayed in this animation creates some very dramatic shadows, which creates quite an ominous atmosphere. Moreover, I would like to create the same appeal to my animation to emphasise the tension between the environment and the rhino character.


Mighty Antlers style:





Similarly to the previous video, this animation is 3D but uses textures to make it seem like a 2D style. What I found most intriguing with animation is the set up of the environments, which was in the style of projection images on to image planes which in done by using the 3D software Maya.

The way this animation switches between two different colour palettes was very interesting, much like a cause and effect. The animation starts off with a warm palette as the car drives through these roads surrounded by a dense forest, but as the man drives faster to hit a deer in the middle of the road a quick cut and shot of the deer triggers a much colder colour palette. I would like to try something similar with my animation, as I want to set up different moods and can do this by using different colour palettes. For example, using warmer and brighter colours at the end where the rhino gets rescued to signify a happier emotion. 

No comments:

Post a Comment